Friday, November 2, 2012

Affordable Green for Everyone



Common Ground, New South Wales
It’s been far too long since my last post. We’ve been super busy at work with closings, new programs and preparation for a new fundraising program. All that aside, I came across a beautiful affordable and green housing project that recently won an award at the world architecture festival. The project call Common Ground was designed by the arch and planning firm Hassell and is located in Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia. While the project is both beautiful and highly efficient it’s also a great example of the new direction that affordable housing has taken as green building techniques have become mainstream and both public and private funders realize the need for energy efficiency in housing.

This type of green and affordable housing is not just popping up in Australia though, and because I live and work in Texas I wanted to share some other great examples of green affordable housing, that’s really cool.

Cevallos Lofts, San Antonio
First off is the Cevallos Loft in San Antonio, Texas. I got to visit this great property just last week during the Texas Association of Local Housing Finance Agencies annual conference. This place blew my socks off. While the location is considered more of an “up and coming” neighborhood, the property is only 5 minutes from downtown and near San Antonio’s world famous riverwalk. The interior courtyard and pool reminded me of a luxury hotel, but I had to keep pinching myself and remember that low-income families also lived in this property.

2424 Sakowitz, Houston
Another great group of recent green and highly artistic properties in Texas are owned and managed by New Hope Housing. This great organization based in Houston, TX have broken the mold of what we think about SRO development. Gone is the idea of bunkhouses and old pay by the week motels. New Hope has successfully mixed art, architecture and green building into everything they touch.

Well, I wish I had more time, cause I might just turn this into a coffee table book if I did. Hope you enjoy the pics and links. Now go out and support affordable housing in your neighborhood.

Best regards,

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment